Sure, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds is a solid band, which is touring behind a well-crafted eponymous album. The disc reflects what’s in Gallagher’s record collection (The Beatles, The Kinks, among other classic British-rock). Noel is obviously fine without his troublesome little brother Liam. However, we miss the days when he would look back in anger at his brawl-loving brother. What happened to rock’s fight club?
The best rock fights of all-time:
1. Vince Neil vs. Guns N’ Roses: At the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards, the word was that Izzy Stradlin hit on Vince Neil’s wife so the Motley Crue singer decided to hit Stradlin in the face onstage. The best VMA moment next to Madonna kissing Britney
2. Kurt Cobain vs. Axl Rose: What is it about the VMAs and trouble? Kurt and Axl got into a verbal war stoked by Courtney Love backstage at the 1992 VMAs. No punches were thrown but the two biggest rock stars of that era almost launched a sonic Armageddon. It’s just hard to imagine the slight Cobain in a fight.
3. Kurt Cobain vs. security guard: Cobain gets into a fight with a security guard 20-years ago in Dallas. After stage-diving, Cobain slams the guard in the head with his guitar. The goon punches and kicks Cobain before all hell breaks loose. For once it wasn’t Courtney’s fault since she had yet to meet Cobain.
4. Ray Davies vs. Dave Davies: While doing a one-off show in 1982, ‘Getting wealthier in Philadelphier,’ as Ray Davies called it, the Kinks cranky brothers brawled onstage. After Ray introduced then girlfriend Chrissie Hynde to fans, Dave Davies delivered a right cross to his brother’s head. Somewhere young Liam Gallagher was taking notes.
5. Liam Gallagher vs. German Fans: The former Oasis frontman got his ass kicked and he lost two front teeth in a Munich bar. Not a big deal for the tough leader of Beady Eye. Gallagher knows British teeth typically fall out if they’re not knocked out.