Did an Exploding Hoverboard Cause This Louisiana House Fire?

The street's newest menace might also be a fire hazard.
Avatar:
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
The street's newest menace might also be a fire hazard.
A Louisiana mother claims her son's self-balancing scooter sparked and caused a house fire while charging after its first use.

It's never a good thing when you plug in your birthday present, it throws sparks and burns down your house. But that's exactly what Louisiana mom Jessica Horne says happened with the hoverboard self-balancing electric scooter her 12-year old son received the week before Thanksgiving. Supposedly he took one ride, plugged it in to recharge, it and that's when things got pyrotechnic, as reported by local ABC station WGNO:



Of course, this isn't the first time a popular gadget's caught on fire. It's still disturbing though. Not just because we like writing about these personal electric vehicles—even naming the original self-balancing two-wheeler in our 2015 best gadgets list. But because they're so popular and because it's the holidays,  folks are scrambling to snag whatever they can to please their kids.

In this case, a Fiturbo product purchased on Amazon is the alleged culprit. But the Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating. In the meantime, keep a close eye on your fancy scooter while it charges. Be sure to alert the Consumer Product Safety Commission should anything go awry with the product itself. (Not just if you bust your uncoordinated ass while trying to ride the thing.) 

Photos by WGNO