13 Reasons to Always Root for John Daly
America’s most American golfer is actually winning a tournament. We can all drink to that.
A funny thing happened yesterday at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am: John Daly shot seven under par, putting him one shot back from the tournament leaders. To put that in perspective, it was Daly’s best opening round in the better part of the last decade and he remains overweight, inconsistent and, well, John Daly. If this is how the PGA has decided to make up for Tiger’s absence, we’re all for it.
Here’s why we’re rooting for “The Lion.”
1. He’s a 48-year-old recovered alcoholic with four divorces, three kids, a gut that barely fits in the cart, and he’s one stroke away from the top of the leaderboard.
2. When he needed money, he sold memorabilia out of an RV parked in front of a Hooters.
3. After winning the 1991 PGA Championship, Daly took a limousine through a McDonalds and order by sticking his head out through the sunroof. He’d been an alternate a few days earlier.
4. He has released two country music albums – precisely two more country music albums than anyone else on the PGA tour.
5. He’s always had the best pants in the game. It’s never even been close.
6. He’s friends with Jessica Alba.
on Oct 27, 2014 at 6:49pm PDT
7. His ex-wife shacked up with Roger Clemens, but he’s still holding his head high.
8. His head has that haircut.
9. “I believe nicotine plus caffeine equals protein.”
10. His bottled Peach Tea Lemonade cocktails are way better than you’d expect. He’s also a marketing genius.
on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:23pm PDT
11. He has a casual approach to training rounds.
12. “I don’t think I’ve ever stepped into a gym – they won’t let me smoke there. I just thank God Miller Lite isn’t as fattening as most beers.”
13. Because Tiger Woods never posted stuff like this to his Instagram.
on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:03pm PDT
Photos by Scott Halleran/Getty Images