When the winner of Top Chef: All-Stars says he wants to custom-create a burger recipe for you, the answer is always, “Yes, please, the faster the better.” And that is how the exclusive Maxim “In & Haute” burger designed by chef Richard Blais came to be. Make it at home using Richard’s recipe below and don’t forget to chase it with a beer. Like men do.
The Maxim “In & Haute” Burger
(Yield: 4 burgers)
- 1 ¼ lb. of ground brisket
- 8 oz. ground chuck
- 10 oz. ground short rib
1. Mix the ground meat together, and portion into eight 5 oz. balls.
2. Form the balls into patties and keep cold.
The Special Sauce:
(Yield: Approximately 3 cups)
- 1 cup dukes mayonnaise
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- ¼ c cornichons, minced
- 2 tbsp. parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until homogenous. Cover and store in refrigerator.
The Caramelized Onions:
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions until translucent, then drop heat down to medium and caramelize slowly for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once they become golden brown, add the sugar, salt and pepper, and continue to cook for another five minutes, then remove from heat and cool. Reserve.
The B&B Pickled Jalapeños
- 4 jalapeños, cut into ¼ inch rounds
- ¾ cup kosher salt
- 1 qt. cider vinegar
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cover the sliced jalapenos with the salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the peppers in cold water until none of the salt flavor remains. Strain, reserve.
- Dissolve the sugar into the water and remove from heat and pour into a container with the vinegar, chill.
- Once the liquid has cooled, pour over the peppers and let sit for 30 minutes, minimum.
- 4 good quality hamburger buns, preferably Brioche
- 8 slices of American cheese
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 8 slices of tomato
- 4 pieces of leaf or Bibb lettuce
- On a griddle, flat top, or sauté pan, season the patties with salt and pepper and sear the patties on both sides. Then smear 1 tbsp. of mustard over each patty, and finish cooking in the mustard until just cooked through.
- Once cooked, place a slice of cheese over each patty and allow cheese to melt.
- Toast both sides of the hamburger buns until golden brown.
- On the bottom bun smear a generous layer of the special sauce, followed by a piece of lettuce, then two slices of tomato.
- Stack two of the patties together and place on top of the tomato, followed by the onions, and top it with the pickled jalapeños and the top bun.
- Serve with a cold Amstel Light and enjoy!