Spicy Glazed Pigs Head Meatloaf with Triple Smoked Bacon & Shishito Peppers
From Michael Psilakis, of FishTag, Kefi, Eos
Serves 10-12 sandwiches
PIG'S HEAD ROASTED
1 Pig’s Head (Braised)
2 tsp Pink Salt
5/8 cup Garlic Puree
2 tbsp Coriander, Ground
2 tsp oz Cardamom, Ground
7/8 cup Espelette Puree
1 bunch Tarragon
4 Preserved Lemons, Diced Fine
1 ½ tsp Smoked Spanish paprika
1 cup Maker’s Mark Bourbon
• Braise pig’s head in basic stock & vegetables till fork tender then remove from the braising liquid & place on a rack in the oven.
• Combine all spices and preserved lemon with puree. Set aside ½ of this puree mixture and the remaining 1/2 of the puree mixture with Markers Mark.
• Slow roast the pig’s head in a 275-degree oven for 2 hours brushing with the puree & Makers Mark every 10-15 min.
• Remove the pigs head from the oven and pull apart while still hot, nose, ears, jowls, tongue & crispy skin, dice all meat up with a cleaver and mix with remaining puree.
PIG HEAD FARCE
1 Baby Pig Head (deboned & Ground, Smallest Dye)
1 Pork Leg Meat
1 Pork Jowl (Scraps from pork toast, with fines herbs & shallot& garlic)
1 Pork Fat Back
½ tbsp Pink Salt
Seasoning mix (see recipe below)
3 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pink Salt
2 tsp Sugar
½ tsp Crushed Black Pepper
1 pinch Nutmeg
2 tsp Garlic, minced
1 tsp Espelette
1 tsp Hot Hungarian Paprika
• Mix the roasted head, head cheese farce, and seasoning mix, then form into a roulade wrapped tight in plastic, and poach at 250 degrees until set. Then chill until service.
ROASTED SHISHITO SALSA VERDE
15 Shishito Peppers
5 Green Tomatillos
1 White Onion
1 Red Onion (Blistered & Pickled)
3 Heads of Garlic, sliced in half
1 Bunch Cilantro
1 Bunch Purple Shiso
• Toss all the vegetables in olive oil and season with salt & pepper, char on a grill or plancha.
• Rough chop all ingredients and toss with fresh herbs.
BONE MARROW AIOLI
8-10 Bone Marrow Logs
1 tbsp Garlic Puree
1 tbsp Roasted Shallot Puree
2 Lemons, Juiced
2 Egg Yolks
1 Qt Olive Oil
• Soak bone marrow over night in salted water to purify, slow poach marrow at 225 in oven safe dish covered in foil, for 20min.
• Remove marrow from the bones place in a blender with purees, egg, & lemon juice.
• Puree the mixture and slowly add Olive Oil, adjust seasoning as desired
• Take two slices of country loaf bread and spread with Bone Marrow Aioli on both sides, pan sear to golden brown.
• Slice the headcheese and layer on the sandwich with, Shishito Salsa, pickled red onions, pickled Shishito.
• Top the inside of the sandwich with grilled Bentons Bacon, shaved Borenkas cheese.
Feast your eyes on our sandwich slideshow.
Get the recipe for the all the sandwiches below: