How To Make a Mac ’n’ Cheese Grilled Cheese
To celebrate Grilled Cheese Month, Chef Michael Ferraro at Delicatessen N.Y.C. adds some mac to your favorite melty sandwich.
¼ cup flour
¼ cup butter
4 cups whole milk
½ cup grated Vermont yellow cheddar cheese
½ cup mascarpone cheese
¾ cup + 1/8 cup grated Swiss cheese
¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1½ cups rye bread croutons (¼-inch cubes)
½ Tbs. toasted and ground caraway seeds
3 Tbs. Russian dressing
¾ lb. elbow macaroni, cooked in salt water
2½ cups diced braised corn beef (¼-inch cubes)
1 cup pickled sauerkraut, roughly chopped
½ cup diced cheese curds
16 slices beer bread
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Whisk flour and butter together in a saucepan for five minutes over medium heat.
3. Pour in milk and bring to a simmer while whisking. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
4. Whisk in cheddar, mascarpone, and ¾ cup Swiss cheese. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
5. Toss croutons with caraway seeds and Russian dressing. Toast in oven for four minutes.
6. Mix pasta, cheese sauce, corned beef, sauerkraut, curds, and croutons together in a large bowl. Cool and reserve.
7. Butter beer bread and layer with the mix and remaining Swiss cheese.
8. Sauté in butter over low heat for 3–4 minutes per side.
9. Toast in oven for six minutes, enjoy, then have a heart attack.
Photos by Photographed by Sam Kaplan