How To Make Spaghetti On a Stick
From his cookbook On a Stick! Matt Armendariz serves up dinner for the goombah on the go.
For the Meatballs
½ lb. lean ground beef
2 Tbs. minced yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg white
2 Tbs. seasoned bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta
5 cups plus 3 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
½ lb. cooked spaghetti
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
1. Line a baking sheet and a shallow baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Mix the meatball ingredients in a bowl until combined. Shape into eight one-inch balls.
3. Warm 3 Tbs. of the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning to brown on all sides, until just cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Gently toss meatballs, spaghetti, marinara sauce, and Parmesan in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Place mixture in the prepared baking dish, cover, and refrigerate at least 12 hours or up to overnight.
5. Preheat 5 cups of oil to 350ºF in a pot. Cut pasta into eight squares and insert a popsicle stick in each. Place spaghetti sticks in pot, one at a time, and fry seven minutes. Add salt and pepper and serve warm.