Super Slider Recipe
Learn how to make Chef Michael White’s sandwich.
Tigelle con Porchetta e Crema di Funghi (Roasted Porchetta, Porcini Mushroom Aioli, Wild Arugula)
From Chef/Owner Michael White, of Marea, Osteria Morini, Ai Fiori
1 fresh ham,* 8 to 10 lbs
1 cup olive oil
For the Herbed Salt Mix
4 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
3 cloves garlic
Zest of two lemons
1 cup kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
For the Mushroom Aioli
1 lb. porcini mushrooms
½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp sea salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup canola oil
Cayenne pepper to taste
For the Tagelle
8 Martin’s potato slider buns, buttered and toasted
1 bunch wild arugula
1) Combine the ingredients for the herbed salt mix in a food processor and buzz together until the salt has a green tint.
2) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3) Place about an inch of water in the bottom of a big roasting pan fitted with a rack.
4) Brush ham with olive oil and season liberally with herbed salt mix. (Cover and save the extra mix in the refrigerator for up to one month.)
5) Place ham on roasting-pan rack and put in oven. Let cook until the skin is golden and crackling and the internal temperature at the bone is 160 degrees, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours (based on 18 to 22 minutes per pound).
6) Remove from oven, cover lightly with foil, and let rest at least 20 minutes.
7) While the ham is resting, heat the olive oil for the mushrooms in a large saucepan. Add the butter, mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until they are tender and begin to release their juices, stirring often. Remove from oil, finely chop, and set aside.
8) Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Beat with a whisk until pale and frothy, about 30 seconds.
9) Slowly whisk in the olive oil, drizzling it into the yolk mixture a little bit at a time, until the mayonnaise is emulsified and thickened.
10) Repeat the process with the canola oil.
11) Stir in the mushrooms, season to taste with salt and cayenne.
12) After the ham is roasted, rested and cooled, thinly slice and begin building sandwich.
13) Spread a bit of butter on each side of the buns and toast until golden brown.
14) Assemble the sandwiches to your liking with the pork, mushroom/mayonnaise mixture, and arugula. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Feast your eyes on our sandwich slideshow.
Get the recipe for the all the sandwiches below: