Last week we shared a list of what we found to be the 10 Best Covers of Holiday Songs, and this week we're back with what can only be described as the best of the best when it comes to original holiday songs. Writing an original holiday song is a lot harder than it seems. There are only so many ways you can pair "jingle bells" with something else before spiraling out of control and landing at a lyric like "jingle bells, go to hell, your mom smells," etc. Check out a few from artists who did it right.
1) The Snails - “Snails Christmas (I Want A New Shell)”
The Snails are a Future Islands side project (Samuel T. Herring and William Cashion are the main snails) and they decided to take a swing at what is destined to be a holiday classic.
2) The Ramones - “Merry Christmas (I Don’t Wanna Fight Tonight)”
Not on Christmas. Not on Christmas.
3) Mariah Carey - “All I Want For Christmas is You”
Nothing says Christmas quite like Mariah Carey.
4) Wham - “Last Christmas”
Keep that hairspray away from the yule log, fellas.
5) Sufjan Stevens - “Did I Make You Cry On Christmas? (Well, You Deserved It!)”
You probably did.
6) The Pogues - “Fairytale of New York”
Christmas in New York is unlike anything else in the world. And this song has a pretty remarkable story behind it.
7) EazyE - “Merry Muthafuckin’ Xmas
Hold your Grandma close as you sing this around the punch bowl.
8) Dolly Parton - “Hard Candy Christmas”
Yes, we know that this song is actually about prostitutes, but it's got "Christmas" in the title, so it counts.
9) Ariana Grande - “Santa Tell Me”
Yeah, tell her Santa.
10) The Waitresses - "Christmas Wrapping"
Listen to this and then go sneak some cigarettes behind the house with your cousin.