Knob Creek Launches New Limited Edition ‘Quarter Oak’ Bourbon
This 100-proof special edition bourbon boasts big, bold flavors inspired by a pre-Prohibition distilling style.
Knob Creek has unveiled a new limited edition bourbon in its Quarter Oak series that fans of the brand will want to snap up while it’s still around.
The limited-supply release uses a secondary finishing approach as an ode to founding distiller Booker Noe, who was famously dedicated to crafting bourbon with the fullest and boldest flavors, characteristic of pre-Prohibition style.
Knob Creek Quarter Oak takes the brand’s Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and finishes it for a minimum of four years in quarter cask, American oak barrels to increase the amount of contact between the whiskey and wood.
A small amount of this special edition, secondarily finished whiskey – which delivers richer notes of oak – is then mingled with Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon to create the final product, which Knob Creek says “boasts a harmonious balance of oak influence and traditional, sweeter notes.”
“When Dad created Knob Creek in the early 90s, he wanted to bring back the big, bold flavors that bourbon offered before the days of Prohibition,” said Fred Noe, Booker’s son and Beam Family 7th Generation Master Distiller.
“Dad loved to experiment in his quest for flavor, and I like to think we carry on that same spirit today with releases like this. Finishing our full-flavored liquid in quarter casks delivers a really nice, deepened wood flavor to the bourbon our fans enjoy.”
Knob Creek Quarter Oak is bottled with the following characteristics:
- Proof: 100
- Color: Dark Honey
- Aroma: A nice blend of brown sweets, char and toasted oak with hints of dried fruits
- Taste: Sweet, heavy oak with background notes of char, dried fruits and brown spices
- Finish: Slightly sweet charred oak with a lingering dryness
While this stuff seems best enjoyed sipping it straight or on the rocks, Knob Creed also included a cocktail recipe designed especially for the new Quarter Oak.
- 2 parts Knob Creek® Quarter Oak
- 1 part simple syrup
- ¾ part lemon juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 part soda water
- Combine all ingredients except soda water into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake 10-15 seconds until well chilled. Separate tins and add a splash of soda water into the cocktail. Top the tin with a strainer and strain slowly into a Collins glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel and brandied cherries.
Knob Creek Quarter Oak is available nationwide now for $49.99 for a 750mL bottle.