Jeff Bezos Is Worth $112 Billion, Overtaking Bill Gates as the Richest Man in the World
The Amazon founder and CEO tops Forbes’ annual list.
Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon, is officially the richest man on Planet Earth, with a staggering net worth of $112 billion.
Forbes broke the news in its annual roundup of the world’s billionaires most flush in cash.
The e-commerce king has officially overtaken Bill Gates, now in second place with $90 billion, and is the first “centi-billionaire” with a 12-figure fortune to appear on the list. His net worth is now equal to that of some 2.3 million Americans.
At least Bill still has the moves.
Bezos’ wealth surged more than $39 billion this year, the greatest one-year uptick Forbes has seen. His recent acquisitions, of Whole Foods and even smart doorbell maker Ring, have been attributed to his ballooning fortune.
The United States is still the best place in the world to hit it big. Of the 2,208 billionaires included from 72 countries and territories, 585 hailed from the U.S.A, followed by China with 373.
Here, the top 10 richest men in the world:
1. Jeff Bezos, Amazon (United States) — $112 Billion
2. Bill Gates, Microsoft (United States) — $90 Billion
3. Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway (United States) — $84 Billion
4. Bernard Arnault, LVMH (France) — $72 Billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook (United States) — $71 Billion
6. Amancio Ortega, Zara (Spain) — $70 Billion
7. Carlos Slim Helu, telecom (Mexico) — $67.1 Billion
8. Charles Koch, Koch Industries (United States) — $60 Billion
8. David Koch, Koch Industries (United States) — $60 Billion
10. Larry Ellison, software (United States) — $58.5 Billion
See the rest of the ranking on Forbes.