This Luxury Resort in the Maldives is Looking for a Summer Intern to Care for Majestic Sea Turtles
A luxury resort called The Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu in the Maldives is looking for one lucky person to take care of the sea turtles at the resort’s Olive Ridley Project Marine Turtle Rescue Centre for two weeks in August as part of a truly epic internship.
The intern will be flown out to the resort, stay in a guest villa, have all meals covered, and experience some of the luxurious experiences the resort has to offer, such as a Sunset Cruise and a guided group snorkeling trip in the Baa Atoll.
In other words, the job isn’t paid, but it’s basically an all-expenses paid vacation to the Maldives where you can chill with majestic sea turtles.
Daily duties of the turtle wrangler will include:
- Feeding the turtles
- Cleaning holding tanks
- Observing surgeries and medical procedures
- Attending rescue missions to collect turtles in need
- Assisting with the release of rehabilitated turtles back into the ocean
- Interacting with guests who visit the centre and giving them information on the turtles staying at the centre
- Attending any Olive Ridley Project presentation evenings
- Posting on the Olive Ridley Project’s social media platforms, to update on your personal progress and show a behind-the-scenes look of the Rescue Centre
“Gain valuable veterinary experience from one of the UK’s leading specialist turtle veterinary surgeons, Dr Claire Petros, the lead veterinarian at the Olive Ridley Project,” the job description reads.
“Our Marine Turtle Rescue Centre is the first and only rescue centre in the Maldives to be led by a veterinarian and is fully-equipped with surgical and diagnostic facilities for the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of marine turtles.”
To apply, all you have to do is be over 18 and submit a short two to three minute video and a 500-word cover letter explaining why you’d be good at taking care of turtles. No previous experience is necessary, but you do need to be enthusiastic about turtles and marine life.