The hot-blooded Dodge Viper GT has been named the most expensive car in America to insure, with an annual premium of $4,048.
Insure.com analyzed premiums from six large car insurance companies, reviewing data from 10 different zip codes in each state to reach its buzz-killing conclusion.
The cheapest car in the top 10 lists for $97,995, and the most expensive one is $217,550 (it is the Mercedes-AMG SL65 AMG). Sadly, no Lamborghini or Bugatti supercars were considered for this list of four-wheeled bad boys.
But the Viper costs more to insure than the Mercedes because of the drivers' use of the cars, according to Penny Gusner, consumer analyst for Insure.com. “The Viper is a car you buy because you love to drive fast,” said Gusner in a statement. “The SL65 likely skews toward those seeking luxury – not speed. That’s reflected in the rates.”
Imagine we are in a tuxedo as we announce, "The nominees for 'Most Expensive Car To Insure' are..."
10. Porsche 911 Carrera GT3 RS - $3,212
9. Audi RS7 Quattro Prestige - $3,229
8. LandRover Range Rover SV Autobiography Black LWB - $3,245
7. BMW M6 Gran Coupe - $3,309
6. Nissan GT-R Nismo - $3,476
5. Porsche Panamera S Executive - $3,484
4. Mercedes S63 AMG 4Matic - $3,513
3. Mercedes S600 BI-T - $3,539
2. Mercedes SL65 AMG - $3,797
1. Dodge Viper GT - $4,048