Gennady Golovkin Brutally Knocks Out Steve Rolls, Calls Out Canelo Alvarez

"I am ready for Canelo in September."
Author:
Updated:
Original:
steve rolls gennady golovkin screen grab

Gennady "Triple-G" Golovkin returned to Madison Square Garden Saturday night and delivered a scary comeback knockout of Steve Rolls ,then promptly called out Canelo Alvarez for a third fight.

After a somewhat sluggish start, Golovkin unleashed a flurry of punches in the fourth round that put the little-known Canadian boxer to sleep face down on the canvas. 

Then he immediately called out middleweight champion Canelo, his longtime arch-rival and the biggest draw in boxing.

"I love knockouts," Golovkin said. "I love New York."

"I am ready for Canelo in September," the 37-year-old Kazakh punching machine continued. "Just ask him. Please guys, if you want big drama show, just ask him."

Golovkin, who fought Canelo to a draw in 2017, suffered the only defeat of his career when he lost a controversial decision to Canelo last year.

There were no titles on the line, and Golovkin made sure there was no stunning upset like Andy Ruiz Jr.’s shocking TKO of Joshua last weekend that lifted the British star's four heavyweight belts. 

Both Triple-G and Canelo are under contract to DAZN, which streamed Saturday's fight, Golovkin’s first without a championship involved since 2009. 

So a third-fight could definitely happen if the money's right. And Triple-G seems intent on making it happen.

"We know who the fans want me to fight next," Golovkin said.