How To Wear a Double-Breasted Suit
You’ll finally be seeing double in the right way.
Today’s double-breasted suit is back with a well-tailored vengeance from the thrones of sartorial splendor. With a modernized makeover, double-breasted suits are no longer a thing of the mobster 40’s or cocky 80’s past. With wide peak lapels and a shorter length, slim and trim is what characterizes todays double-breasted suit.
1. Measure up: know your shoulder size, chest size, waist size and drop.
2. Know your budget: If you want an investment piece go for an Armani, Dior Homme, Prada or Marc Jacobs suit but if you’re a man on a budget there are a plethora of affordable options from Brooks Brothers, Nautica, Vince Camuto, Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors.
3. Fit: A tailor will surely become your best friend once you enter the suiting world.
4. Leave the heavy look in the past: Your double-breasted suit should be sans pleats and cuffs to keep the double-breasted suit fresh and modern.
5. Know the occasion: double-breasted suits are statement pieces that speak volumes. They are not for every day. Feel free to mix your double-breasted suit into your work wardrobe, but it is best to wear it to weddings, dressy events and even a night out.
6. How to wear your double-breasted suit: always buttoned, unless you are about to sit down.
7. Accessories: Wearing a double-breasted suit will give you more than confidence and presence, so keep the accessories relatively conservative and allow the suit to be the statement.
8. Break your suit up into separates: Use your jacket with a casual trouser for a more relaxed look.
Photos by Photographed by Pablo Arroyo