Hublot Makes History With ‘Spirit of Big Bang Yellow Sapphire’ Watch
It’s the first scratch-resistant yellow sapphire timepiece created by a luxury watchmaker.
Hublot’s new “Spirit of Big Bang Yellow Sapphire” watch is the first timepiece of its kind to ever come from a luxury watchmaker. It has been engineered for scratch resistance through a clever fusion of copper and aluminum oxide, creating uniquely tough material.
This isn’t an empty claim—on the Mohs scale of hardness this sapphire is a nine; only diamonds are harder.
Along with that remarkable level of toughness, the same material is just as light as another super-tough alloy, titanium.
Hublot has made a kind of mission out of revolutionizing the use of sapphire in watchmaking. The entire line of Spirit of Big Bang Sapphire timepieces (other models include the blue and King Gold White Diamonds) has been crafted with the same unique blend of materials as the Swiss watchmaker’s artisans develop new and memorable color schemes.
Here are some of the watch’s key features:
- 42 mm case of polished yellow sapphire crystal
- The bezel is made from the same crystal and sealed with H-shaped titanium screws
- The crystal is sapphire with anti-reflective treatment
- It runs via Hublot’s HUB4700 self-winding skeleton chronograph movement
- The watch has a 50-hour power reserve with 50 meters of water resistance.
The Big Bang Yellow Sapphire model comes in a limited edition run of 100 pieces retailing for $106,000 each. Check out further details at hublot.com.