10 Reasons To Celebrate ‘National Selfie Day’
Vanity has its perks.
Celebrities are always playing by other people’s rules–posing how photographers demand, wearing what designers advise, and saying whatever their publicists tell them to. Thankfully, as selfie culture has taken off, Hollywood’s hottest have taken the power into their own hands (or rather, Instagram handles).
In honor of #NationalSelfieDay, we compiled ten reasons to celebrate selfie culture. Selfies may encourage vanity, but they also foster self-expression, candor, and some damn beautiful Instagram accounts.
Below, celebrate with some of our favorites:
1. Selfies bring people together–this time, Victoria’s Secret angels Josephine Skriver, Romee Strijd, Jasmine Tookes, and Taylor Hill.
2. Selfies let model Ping Hue embrace her wild side—and show off her new underwear.
3. Russian supermodel Natasha Poly took us on a tropical vacation with hers.
4. Curvaceous Claire Abbott gave us double vision with this knockout mirror shot.
5. Once, Irina Shayk took such a fire selfie that it made a donkey pass out. Proceed with caution.
6. Stella Maxwell invites her girlfriends in on the fun–in the first pic, Barbara Palvin, and in the second, Bella Hadid.
7. Selfies taught Dutch model Doutzen Kroes to own that mirror.
8. Kylie Jenner spurred the “thigh brow” beauty trend with this pivotal snap.
9. Emily Ratajkowski lights up the Internet every time she takes to the ‘gram.
10. The entirety of Kim Kardashian‘s Instagram account is testament to the marvels of selfie culture. She deserves kudos for her seamless product placement, as well.
10. Never forget the culmination of selfie culture–when EmRata and Kim Kardashian joined forced to stick it to the haters. Your move, Piers Morgan…
As of today, Instagram counts 500 million users worldwide, so don’t expect the selfie trend to go anywhere.