James Bond has faced some seriously colorful villains—and their henchmen—across 25 movies. The names alone say enough: Dr. No, Goldfinger, Mr. Big, even Jaws (the giant steel-dentured henchman played by Richard Kiel, not the shark).
According to No Time to Die producer Barbara Broccoli, we ain't seen nothin' yet: Rami Malek plays a truly malevolent figure named "Safin," according to Broccoli, and he's such an intense foe she calls him a "supervillain."
Broccoli spoke with Empire Online about the movie, in the process giving some insight into the hero-villain dynamic as well:
"We've thrown the book at [Bond] on this one," teases Barbara Broccoli in an exclusive report from Empire's upcoming 2020 Preview Issue – and by 'the book,' she means Rami Malek’s Safin. "He is really the supervillain. He’s the one that really gets under Bond's skin. He’s a nasty piece of work."
Obviously, Daniel Craig's final turn as 007 is set to be a seriously big send-off.
Now that Broccoli has let the "Safin" out of the bag, it's time to take stock: What else do we know about No Time to Die so far?
- Many old cast members are back, including Ben Whishaw, Ralph Fiennes, and Maxim fave Léa Seydoux.
- So are Bond's beloved Aston Martins.
- New faces include Malek, Lashana Lynch—she's the agent who assumes the 007 code name—and Ana de Armas.
- It's directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, the man responsible for the stunning look of True Detective Season 1. We'll see if Fukunaga pulls off any tour-de-force single-camera shot scenes with Bond like he did in the HBO noir crime drama.
- What's the story? Bond begins as a retired agent enjoying the sun and sand in Jamaica. Then his CIA agent buddy Felix (Jeffrey Wright) shows up seeking help finding a missing scientist. It only spirals from there.
- Is Daniel Craig truly out of here after Bond 25? Yeah, probably. Just watch his speech in the Twitter video above.
There isn't a trailer yet, just random footage from behind the scenes, and that gave no real clue as to the story.
Bond fans will have answers to all their remaining questions and more when No Time To Die is in theaters on April 3, 2020.