No one's actually a fan of shedding their clothes in front of someone else. As if sex wasn't stressful enough, your first time (or multiple times after) with a partner might lead to some self-doubt when they glance at you naked. What if they laugh? Should I not have eaten that burrito this morning? Is it cold in here? Clearly, this is why we keep our socks on as a security blanket.
Lucky for you, we know just how to keep you looking your best in the buff. Fitness expert and personal trainer Don Saladino of Drive495 (the guy who trains Hugh Jackman and Sebastian Stan, among others) shared his expert tips on just how to achieve that perfect body, and by following his guidelines and expertise, you'll be (confidently) strutting around in your birthday suit all the time.
There are several ways to approach your training, but for now, begin with a quick every-other-day training program that is easy to follow. Day 1 should consist of:
2. Bench Press
3. Pullups or Lat Pulldowns
4. Side Planks (20 seconds each)
5. Romanian Deadlift
6. Shoulder Press
7. Dumbbell Rows
8. Reverse Crunches
9. Dumbbell Bicep Curls
10. Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
These are 10 key movements that need to be treated as a circuit. You should perform 8 reps of each unless the exercise notes otherwise. Aim to perform 3- 4 rounds total, taking 15-20 seconds moving from exercise to exercise. This will get you strong and lean without getting you bulky. The limited rest in between sets turns your body into a fat burning furnace.
A photo posted by Don Saladino (@donsaladino) on Sep 6, 2015 at 8:11am PDT
Day 2 is a variation of Day 1 and is not to be done back to back days. That will consist of:
1. Goblet Squats
2. Incline Dumbbell Press
3. Inverted Rows
4. Hanging Knee Raise
5. Lateral Lunges
6. Pushups (Weighted or with Bands If Need Be)
7. Bent Over Rows
8. Bear Crawls (20 yards forward then 20 yards backwards)
9. DB Hammer Curl
10. Cable Tricep Pushdowns
These are 10 movements that you'll perform for 10 reps each unless noted otherwise. It's important that you take 15-20 seconds in between each set.
After Day 2, take another non lifting workout day. Once that is completed, you can start back on your Day 1 routine the following day. This program should be performed every other day for 4 weeks, as it'll allow you to hit the entire body with compound movements. This will torch fat as well as help with gaining lean muscle mass.
Cardio can be performed in-between lifting days. Use HIIT cardio, medium intensity intervals, as well as long steady state. Don’t get too technical but do what you feel like doing. Your body energy level is a good indicator on the condition of your central nervous system.
Unfortunately, you cannot out-train a poor diet. Here are a couple points about nutrition that you really need to dial in on:
1. Food quality is so much more important than you think. Shop organic as much as you can. This will help limit the chemicals that you take into your body which will help reduce inflammation in your gut, inflammation in your joints, and will help with recovery.
2. Get rid of processed foods. This means no white sugar or white flour. Make sure you consume 50 oz of water per every 100lbs of your body weight. A 200lb male needs a min of 100 oz a day. This will help speed up your metabolism as well as flushing out toxins from your body.
3. You need around 8 hours of sleep a night. Consider sleep a fat burner. It improves hormone function which will make everything about you better.
4. Try to limit alcohol consumption to 1 day a week. Consume clear, gluten free beverages like tequila. This all helps and make sure you are staying hydrated.
It ain't easy, but it's worth it.
Photos by Getty Images