100 Cable Channels We Don’t Want
Face it – No one really needs a Style Network.
Face it – No one really needs a Style Network.
When media companies fight with cable providers, there’s always a chance that your beloved channels will be taken away faster than you can say “I want my MTV!” or, more realistically, “I want my MTV2!” That almost happened during the Viacom vs. DirecTV battle. But after careful consideration, we realized there are a lot of cable channels we don’t need but we’re stuck with anyway. 100 channels, to be exact.
1. HGTV – The channel is a tedious bore and lacks all the sex and titillation of the magazine counterpart. Your girlfriend doesn’t even watch this crap.
2. Discovery Fit & Health – There is nothing healthy about shows like World’s Worst Teens, Weed Wars, and Cellblock 6: Female Lock Up. Instead, this channel should just show a sign that reads, “Eat carrots.” At least then the name would be accurate.
3. SoapNet – Soap operas are perfect for people who don’t know the Internet exists and/or can’t afford a hobby.
4. Wealth TV – A channel strictly based on rich people throwing money in our face and laughing at us. Assholes. By the way, we didn’t know we had this channel until flipping through the cable box doing research for this article.
5. OWN – We don’t have a problem with Oprah, but when she stops handing out cars and interviewing celebrities, all that’s left is a channel that even our moms flip past on the way to Spike TV.
6. CW – Name five CW shows. (This is a trick question. Your ability to answer will greatly affect your chances of being invited to our basketball picnic.)
7. As Seen on TV – True story: Maxim was originally called “As Read in Maxim.” It was later renamed “Maxim Turbo” and then “Walrus Farts.” That’s when we fired our nephew.
8. Smithsonian Channel – Not a single ice road or trucker on the schedule? And you call yourself education? Pff.
9. Lifetime Real Women– The spin-off of Lifetime needs to be stopped or else the Lifetime virus will spread and soon the entire cable landscape will be littered with the likes of Lifetime Home and Wedding, Lifetime Mommy Date and Lifetime Chubby Crying.
10. Encore – Quick! La Bamba is playing! This is surely the only and best way for you to ever see La Bamba!
11. TV Guide – Thanks to DVRs and on-screen menus from the cable box, we need this channel as much as we need ankle watches.
12. The History Channel – Unlike almost every other thing on this list, we LOVE the History Channel. A bit too much. One minute you’re watching a show about swamp people, the next minute it’s Monday. For sucking up too many of our weekends with its addictive nearly perfect programming, we need to hand over the keys to the remote before someone gets hurt.
13. Fox News/MSNBC/CNN – Sorry, but we like getting our news from poorly spelled, inaccurate Tweets, just like the rest of America.
14. Cloo – Here’s a mystery the folks at Cloo have yet to solve: Who cares?
15. DIY – Shut up, channel! You’re not so smart! You don’t know how to fix EVERYTHING! Stop telling us how to live. Let us make mistakes. It’s how we learn!
16. ESPN Classic– Until they somehow manage to find footage of olden days when guys fought lions and raced chariots, we’re not interested in sporting events from three months ago.
17. E!– No!
18. TLC – Parents of toddler pageant queens are scary. Little people are just like us. You can have more than three babies. There. We just summed up everything you could possibly learn from this so-called Learning Channel.
19. The Weather Channel– It’s just like an app on your phone, but more difficult to use in the bathroom.
20. World Fishing Network– We’ll only watch this if arm wrestling also gets it’s own World Network.
21. Nick Jr. – Granted, the programming isn’t aimed at us. But our main concern is the fact that no one has ever revealed the identity of Nick Jr.’s mother. (We assume it’s that slut VH1.)
22. ABC Family – The channel that’s most popular amongst teenagers who lie on surveys about what channels they watch.
23. Disney – We only watch it because the music is fucking tight!
24. FEARnet – A channel that’s great in the fall, and just sort of sad during the rest of the year.
25. C-Span – We admit it. We have no idea what’s going on. Are they all in some sort of museum or library? USA!
26. The Home Shopping Network/QVC– It’s amazing that so many middle-aged women don’t know Amazon.com exists.
27. Current – How do you make social and political issues entertaining? We don’t know. But cramming them down the audience’s esophagus doesn’t seem to be working very well. At least getting Keith Obermann off proves they’re attempting to move in the right direction.
28. GAC (Great American Country)– Never watched it. Not once. Not even for second.
29. Style – We’re all like, “Eww. No thanks!” We can be such a bitch sometimes.
30. Oxygen – So many other elements are more worthy of a channel. Can someone give us $10 million to start Sodium? Or $60 to start Bismuth.
32. Tennis Channel
33. Bloomberg TV
34. TBS – Good for Seinfeld and Family Guy reruns. That’s it.
35. VH1 Classic
36. Music Choice
37. Sundance Channel
40. Shop Zeal
41. The Hallmark Movie Channel
45. HBO Signature (We just have no idea what this means. Is it where HBO signs its name all day?)
49. WGN America
51. Live Well
53. Encore Western
58. BBC America – Doctor Who isn’t very good. Everyone is lying to you. Trust us.
59. Showtime Too – Reminds us too much of Teen Wolf Too. On second thought, we might live this network. Do they show Teen Wolf Too a lot?
60. National Geographic
61. Cooking Channel
63. Lifetime Movie Network
64. Encore Love
65. Any network that airs soccer
66. GSN (GameShow Network)
67. MTV Jams
70. Showtime Extreme
71. Teen Nick
72. MoviePlex (80’s – 90’s movies)
74. C-Span 2
75. News Asia
76. Disney XD
80. Science Channel
82. C-Span 3
83. TV Guide HD
84. VH1 Soul
85. Fine Living
87. The Movie Channel
88. Reelz Channel
90. CMT Country Music Television
91. FCS (Fox College Sports)
93. The Hallmark Channel
94. Insp TV (The Inspirational channel)
95. Jewelry TV
96. Shop NBC
98. Those strange channels that air foreign shows and have non-English subtitles.
Previous 100 Lists:
100 Easiest Job | 100 Things in Cans | 100 Words That Imply Sex | 100 Best Dollar Store Items | 100 Ways to Stay Awake During a Meeting | 100 Worst Names for Kids | 100 Creative Facebook Updates | 100 Songs You Can’t Get Out of Your Head | 100 Movies That Sound Like Pornos | 100 False Trending Topics | The Cold 100 | 100 Best Band Names (That Are Up For Grabs) | 100 Pornified Reality Shows | 100 Things That Annoy Louis C.K. | 100 Best Cereals | 100 Best Baby Names |100 Things We Saw at Comic Con